[Python-ideas] Floating point contexts in Python core

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Oct 11 07:45:50 CEST 2012

Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

> I gave this idea +float('inf') in the other thread and was thinking about it
> since. I am now toying with the idea to unify float and decimal in Python.

Are you sure there would be any point in this? People who
specifically *want* base-2 floats are probably quite happy
with the current float type, and wouldn't appreciate having
it slowed down, even by a small amount.

It might make sense for them to share whatever parts of the
fp context apply to both, and they might have a common base
type, but they should probably remain distinct types with
separate implementations.

--
Greg