[Python-ideas] asyncore: included batteries don't fit

Mark Adam dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:20:57 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Ben Darnell <ben at bendarnell.com> wrote:
>> I think there are
>> actually two separate issues here and it's important to keep them
>> distinct:  at a low level, there is a need for a standardized event
>> loop, while at a higher level there is a question of what asynchronous
>> code should look like.
>
> Yes, yes. I tried to bring up thing distinction. I'm glad I didn't
> completely fail.

Perhaps this is obvious to others, but (like hinted at above) there
seem to be two primary issues with event handlers:

1) event handlers for the machine-program interface (ex. network I/O)
2) event handlers for the program-user interface (ex. mouse I/O)

While similar, my gut tell me they have to be handled in completely
different way in order to preserve order (i.e. sanity).

This issue, for me, has come up with wanting to make a p2p network
application with VPython.

MarkJ