[Python-ideas] Speed up os.walk() 5x to 9x by using file attributes from FindFirst/NextFile() and readdir()

Ben Hoyt benhoyt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:17:41 CET 2012

It seems many folks think that an os.iterdir() is a good idea, and
some that agree that something like os.iterdir_stat() for efficient
directory traversal + stat combination is a good idea. And if we get a
faster os.walk() for free, that's great too. :-)

Nick Coughlan mentioned his walkdir and Antoine's pathlib. While I
think these are good third-party libraries, I admit I'm not the
biggest fan of either of their APIs. HOWEVER, mainly I think that the
stdlib's os.listdir() and os.walk() aren't going away anytime soon, so
we might as well make incremental (though significant) improvements to
them in the meantime.

So I'm going to propose a couple of minimally-invasive changes (API-
wise), in what I think is order of importance, highest to lowest:

1) Speeding up os.walk(). I've shown we can easily get a ~5x speedup
on Windows by not calling stat() on each file. And on Linux/BSD this
same data is available from readdir()'s dirent, so I presume there's
be a similar speedup, though it may not be quite 5x.

2) I also propose adding os.iterdir(path='.') to do exactly the same
thing as os.listdir(), but yield the results as it gets them instead
of returning the whole list at once.

3) Partly for implementing the more efficient walk(), but also for
general use, I propose adding os.iterdir_stat() which would be like
iterdir but yield (filename, stat) tuples. If stat-while-iterating
isn't available on the system, the stat item would be None. If it is
available, the stat_result fields that the OS presents would be
available -- the other fields would be None. In practice,
iterdir_stat() would call FindFirst/Next on Windows and readdir_r on
Linux/BSD/Mac OS X, and be implemented in posixmodule.c.

This means that on Linux/BSD/Mac OS X it'd return a stat_result with
st_mode set but the other fields None, on Windows it'd basically
return the full stat_result, and on other systems it'd return
(filename, None).

The usage pattern (and exactly how os.walk would use it) would be as
follows:

    for filename, st in os.iterdir_stat(path):
        if st is None or st.st_mode is None:
            st = os.stat(os.path.join(path, filename))
        if stat.S_ISDIR(st.st_mode):
            # handle directory
        else:
            # handle file

I'm very keen on 1). And I think adding 2) and 3) make sense, because
they're (a) asked for by various folks, (b) fairly simple and self-
explanatory APIs, and (c) they'll be needed to implement the faster
os.walk() anyway.

Thoughts? What's the next step? If I come up with a patch against
posixmodule.c, tests, etc, is this likely to be accepted? I could
also flesh out my pure-Python proof of concept [1] to do what I'm
suggesting above and go from there...

Thanks,
Ben

[1] https://gist.github.com/4044946