[Python-ideas] os.path.commonpath()

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Nov 7 06:15:48 CET 2012

Bruce Leban wrote:

> If you change the semantics so that it either (1) it always always
> includes a trailing / or (2) it includes a trailing slash if the two
> paths have it in common, then you don't have the weirdness that in this
> case it returns a slash and in others it doesn't. I am slightly inclined
> to (1) at this point.

But then the common prefix of "/a/b" and "/a/c" would be "/a/",
which would be very unexpected -- usually the dirname of a path is
not considered to include a trailing slash.

The special treatment of the root directory is no weirder than it
is anywhere else. It's already special, since in unix it's the
only case where a trailing slash is semantically significant.
(To the kernel, at least -- a few command line utilities break this
rule, but they're screwy.)

--
Greg