[Python-ideas] The async API of the future

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Nov 4 17:10:42 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Ben Darnell <ben at bendarnell.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> FWIW, I've been studying other event loops. It's interesting to see
>> the similarities (and differences) between e.g. the tulip eventloop,
>> pyftpd's ioloop, Tornado's IOLoop, and 0MQ's IOLoop. The latter two
>> look very similar, except that 0MQ makes the poller pluggable, but
>> generally there are lots of similarities between the structure of all
>> four. Twisted, as usual, stands apart. :-)

> Pyzmq's IOLoop is actually a fork/monkey-patch of Tornado's, and they have
> the same pluggable-poller implementation (In the master branch of Tornado
> it's been moved to the PollIOLoop subclass).

I was beginning to suspect as much. :-)

Have you had the time to look at tulip's eventloop? I'd love your feedback:
http://code.google.com/p/tulip/source/browse/polling.py

Also, Richard has a modified version that supports IOCP, which changes
the APIs around quite a bit. (Does Tornado try anything with IOCP?
Does it even support Windows?) Any thoughts on this vs. my version?
https://bitbucket.org/sbt/tulip-proactor/changeset/c64ff42bf0f2679437838ee7795adb85

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)