[Python-ideas] make __closure__ writable

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 15:31:11 CET 2012

On 2012-03-20, at 9:15 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Yury Selivanov
> <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Again, since the __code__ attribute is modifiable, and __closure__
>> works in tight conjunction with it, I see no point in protecting it.
>
> FWIW, I'm current +0 on the idea (based on Yury's reasoning here about
> updating already wrapped functions), but it's going to be a while
> before I can dig into the code and see if there are any *good* reasons
> we protect __closure__ (rather than that protection merely being an
> implementation artifact). I can't recall any off the top of my head,
> but that part of the code is complex enough that I don't completely
> trust my memory on that point.

Well, it seems that it is an implementation artifact.  I've run across
the CPython code, and got an impression that changing __closure__ to be
writeable won't break anything.  Writing malicious values to it may
segfault python, but that's no different from doing so with __code__.
In some way, __closure__ is already writeable, since you can pass it
to the 'types.FunctionObject', and create a broken function, hence I
don't see a reason in making it readonly.

The patch attached to the issue in the tracker passes all unittests, and
adds one more - specifically for testing __closure__ modification on a
live function object.

-
Yury