[Python-ideas] keyword arguments everywhere (stdlib) - issue8706

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Mar 3 21:11:14 CET 2012

> Anyway, I now think that adding a built-in @positional(N) decorator
> makes the most sense since it doesn't require changes to the parser.
> The built-in can be implemented efficiently. This should be an easy
> patch for someone who wants to contribute some C code.

Would you then be okay with using that in documentation?

@positional(1)
ord(char)
Return the integer code for char

If you prefer that to

ord(char, /)
Return the integer code for char

fine with me. I care more about being able to document existing apis for
C-implemented functions than about being able to limit Python functions
I write. (Of course, being able to make C and Python versions of stdlib
modules match would also be great!) Currently, one may need to
experiment before using name-passing to be sure it will work, which
tends to discourage name-passing of args even when it would be more
readable.

--
Terry Jan Reedy