[Python-ideas] Just __main__

Bruce Leban bruce at leapyear.org
Mon Jun 18 21:39:05 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:

> I agree that having a boolean called "__main__" wouldn't add much value,
> but I believe that recognizing a function called "__main__" could
> potentially add a bit more value.
>
> After executing the body of a script, the interpreter would
> automatically call the "__main__" function if it exists, and exit with
> its return value.

The special value of __name__ and the proposed __main__() function are both
a bit magic. However, when I write if __name__ == '__main__' it's at least
clear that that if statement *will* be executed. It's just a question of
when the condition is true and if I don't know I can find out fairly
easily. (As I did the first time I saw it and probably other people on this
list did too.) On the other hand, it's not at all obvious that a function
named __main__ will be executed automagically.

This will increase the python learning curve, because people will need to
learn both the old method and the new method, especially since code that is
compatible with multiple python versions will need to continue to use the
old method. It saves one or two lines:

    if __name__ == '__main__': main()

A __main__ boolean, that saves even less typing, and does not seem worth
adding either.

-1 for both

--- Bruce
Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/Vroo http://www.vroospeak.com