[Python-ideas] Add adaptive-load salt-mandatory hashing functions?

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Jun 12 23:49:35 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:56:46 -0700
> "Gregory P. Smith" <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
> > I'd just stick it in hmac myself but getpass was also a good suggestion.
> >  Cross reference to it from the docs of all three as the real goal of
> > adding pbkdf2 is to advertise it to users so that they might use it
> rather
> > than something more naive.
> >
> > hashlib itself should be kept pure as is for standard low level hash
> > algorithms.  It can't have a dependency on anything else.
>
> I don't really understand this requirement. Can you elaborate?

I wrote that quickly.  I don't want a circular dependency or things that
aren't well established standards in hashlib.  I see hashlib as being for
low level algorithms only (FIPS standards, etc) where fast implementations
are available in most VM runtimes.  hmac depends on hashlib therefore
nothing in hashlib should ever depend on hmac.  That doesn't prevent
someone from deciding hmac shouldn't be a module of its own and moving it
to live within hashlib some day but that would seem like needless API churn
outside of a major language version change.

-gps