[Python-ideas] changing sys.stdout encoding

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 17:15:11 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Rurpy <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 06/07/2012 03:00 PM, Mike Meyer wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Rurpy <rurpy-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> how do other programming languages deal with wanting to
>> change the encoding of the standard IO streams?

> This is how it seems to be done in Perl:

>  binmode(STDOUT, ":encoding(sjis)");

> which seems quite a bit simpler than Python.

Agreed, in isolation.  But in my limited experience, and from reading
http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/binmode.html ... I think you
probably need to hold at least as many concepts in your head
simultaneously to get it to work.

> ... The description of binmode()
> in "man perlfunc" sounds like encoding can be changed
> on-the-fly but my attempt to do so had no effect

which sort of belies simple

> TCL appears to have on-the-fly encoding changes:

>  | encoding system ?encoding?
>  | The system  encoding is used whenever Tcl passes strings
>  | to system calls.
>  http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TclCmd/encoding.htm

So if you call rename, the system encoding is used for the filename,
but does that mean it is used for sysout?

-jJ