[Python-ideas] Supporting already opened sockets in our socket-based server classes

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Jun 6 19:46:18 CEST 2012

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:23:15 +0200
Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:

> On 6/6/12 2:28 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > Le 06/06/2012 09:56, Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
> >>
> >> What I am proposing is the following syntax:
> >>
> >> if the host passed to the class is of the form:
> >>
> >>      fd://12
> >>
> >> The class will try to create a socket object against the file descriptor
> >> 12, and will not bind() it neither accept() it.
> >
> > Passing a pseudo-URL where a host name is expected sounds like a bad idea.
>
> Well, unix sockets are using this convention to point paths to unix sockets.
>
> e.g.  unix:///some/path

I think what you're trying to achieve has merit, but you're doing it
in the wrong place. Using a URL-like string instead of a host name?
Really?

So how about a new subclass, "PreForkedTCPServer", that takes the file
descriptor instead of the host/port pair when created? You'd probably
want to tweak the class tree somewhat, but that seems like a more
palatable API for what you're trying to do.

      <mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.