[Python-ideas] shutil.run (Was: shutil.runret and shutil.runout)

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:00:34 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 2:47 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:24 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
> > wrote:

> >> Start here:
> >>
> >> http://cwe.mitre.org/top25/index.html
> >>
> >> Code injection attacks include two of the top three security
> >> vulnerabilities, over even buffer overflows.
> >>
> >> One sub-category of code injection:
> >>
> >> OS Command Injection
> >> http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/78.html
>
> Great links. Thanks. Do they still too generic to be placed in docs?
>

> > I talked about this in my pycon talk this year. It's easy to avoid and
> > disastrous to get wrong. Please don't do it this way.
>
> Sorry, don't have too much time to watch it right now. Any specific
> slides, ideas or exceprts?

The main idea was just that by combining a bit of awareness of common
security anti-patterns (like this one) with a good test regimen and some
script kiddie tools you can protect yourself from a lot of common
vulnerabilities without being a security guru. I demonstrated how that
process works on something fairly similar to this, but if you're interested
in more details I'm happy to blather on or dredge up my slides.

Geremy Condra