[Python-ideas] Python Environment Initialization Scripts

James William Pye x at jwp.io
Sun Jul 29 07:22:19 CEST 2012

On Jul 28, 2012, at 8:17 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's where PEP 370 comes in.  Stick your sitecustomize.py into
> ~/.local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages.  Then it only applies when
> python is run as you.

But it's not desirable for it to be limited one user...

The situation is that the meta_path hook is provided in a package that is depended on
by other packages that contain modules that are importable by the hook.

It doesn't seem particularly appropriate to me for a given *package* to be fiddling with the
system administrator's sitecustomize or the user's sitecustomize. No?

Now, that's not to say that I'm unwilling to be inappropriate. >8)