[Python-ideas] Explanation on how to search the archives

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jul 11 03:12:10 CEST 2012

Christopher Reay wrote:
> Im thinking something like:
[...]
> How to Search the Archives:
> http://mail.python.org/dontReinventTheWheel
> Searching the archives is the *first* place you should go when exploring
> new ideas. ...

> As the footer of the emails.
>
> This is a small addition which provides some great meta information to
> "people with great ideas" and also allows a terse and simple response when
> a veteran detects a repeated idea.

More bloat for every single email which will be utterly ignored. Case in
point: the mail digest for the python-dev mailing list already states:

     than "Re: Contents of Python-Dev digest..."

and similar for python-list, tutor, etc. And this message is at the *top* of
the digest, not the bottom, and a mere two lines, not a big wall of text[1].
Yet there is still a steady stream of posts like these:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2012-June/015547.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-July/120910.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2012-July/090213.html

Don't believe me? How often do you read the "This email is Confidential blah
blah blah yadda watermelon blah" footers at the bottom of oh-so-many corporate
emails?

Everybody, sender and receiver, carries the cost of additional bloat in every
email, and the people who most need the reminder that Python is twenty years
old and this "brilliant idea" most likely has been thought of a dozen times
before are the ones who are least likely to read instructions or pay any
attention to them even if they do.

[1] Standards of what counts as big blocks of text have been steadily falling
since the Internet became popular. I'm just waiting for people to start
replying to twitter posts with "TL;DR", at which point I intend to turn my
computer off and move to a cave in the desert.

--
Steven