[Python-ideas] itertools.chunks(iterable, size, fill=None)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 6 20:53:31 CEST 2012

Mike Meyer writes:

 > That I didn't, and it's fair enough. But the onus to fix this *still*
 > falls on the people who are answering the same question over and
 > over. They need to start submitting the answers to the FAQ (there is a
 > history & design FAQ that would seem to be an appropriate place for
 > them) rather than just to the list.

I disagree that it's appropriate.  The History & Design FAQ isn't
intended to be encyclopedic, and I don't see that making it so would
be useful.

The point is that if "This has been rejected before" is sufficient
answer, the proponent withdraws, everybody happy.  And if not, they
have to go to the archives anyway. They need to answer the defects
brought up in the list discussion, point by point, or they're not
going to get a hearing.

 > If you're claiming that the FreeBSD FAQ technique didn't work well
 > for it, then I disagree.

No, I'm claiming that AFAICS the FreeBSD FAQ didn't even try to fix
the problem that you and anatoly percieve.

 > The problem is repeated questions on -ideas.

Indeed!<wink/>  But I think the solution is to encourage asking those
questions on python-list first.[1]  The experts there are both willing
to answer such questions, and have a better sense of FAQ-iness
(relatively few users interested in the question will propose a
general solution).  And they have an incentive to document answers if
they notice a FAQ.  If no suitable idiom appears, then work up a
change proposal and post to -ideas.

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, I'm being mildly ironic; people typically won't know it's a
FAQ until they ask.  Nevertheless, asking on python-list before
posting to either python-ideas or python-dev should be encouraged
("unless you're Dutch"<wink/>).