[Python-ideas] Posting style

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Tue Jan 10 13:43:54 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 07:15:07AM -0500, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
> >   Sorry for the noise but can I ask at least? Yes, I am an old fart
> > joined the Net at 1991, but I find netiquette really useful for effective
> > communication and deviations from it inconvenient and annoying.
>
> Is replying like this acceptable?

   I am not going to mandate anything (first, I don't have power).
Anything is acceptable. But decide for yourself what is convenient *for
you*. Imagine you are reading through a big and complex discussion with
many threads. Or think about looking for information in the mailing
list(s) archive. How much excessive information can you bear? What
posing style would be the best in that cases?

   It is easy to see the dilemma. It's convenient for a poster to do a
quick reply - hence top-posting without trimming. But that's
inconvenient for readers and especially for archive browsers. So if you
are going to be a long-term participator wouldn't it be in the public
interests if you spend a few additional seconds properly formatting your
replies? It's in your interests too because sooner or later you will
return to your own discussions in the archive.

   That's my humble opinion.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name