[Python-ideas] working on a PEP for the __preview__ package

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:36:27 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>wrote:

> anatoly techtonik writes:
>
>  > I am afraid that dunders will become a standard thing in many Python
>  > packages, because of everybody's natural desire to use latest features
> that
>  > work right.
>
> __preview__ is for the latest features that have not been confirmed to
> work right (yet).  Where's the problem?  Newbies certainly should not
> be using such in production applications, although it's an excellent
> way to learn everything you always wanted to know about Python
> internals but were afraid to ask (and more!) <wink/>

What's the point in developing code you won't use? __preview__ features
don't have a Roadmap, so you may wait forever to release you package into
production. With indefinite release cycle __preview__ will become useless
for the most people, who will quickly lose enthusiasm to use __preview__
and continuously update their code for API breaks.
--
anatoly t.