[Python-ideas] matrix operations on dict :)

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Thu Feb 9 15:27:29 CET 2012

On 09.02.2012 03:44, Terry Reedy wrote:

> I believe NumPy uses multiple blocks, as does deque.

No it does not (see Robert Kern's reply).

But a lot of numerical codes in C or Java do, using an array of pointers
(C) or an array of arrays (Java) to emulate a two dimensional array,
particularly numerical code written by amateurs. I've also seen this in
Python, using (heaven forbid) lists of lists as a 2D array replacement.
It is sad that Numerical Receipes encourages this coding style.
(Actually the third edition does not, but it is not sufficient to remedy
the damage.) Those who don't understand why "jagged arrays" can be a
problem should stick to Matlab, Fortran or NumPy.

Sturla