[Python-ideas] Add a recursive function to the glob package

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:08:38 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many times I've wanted glob to give me all the "*.zip" or "*.py" or "*.h"
> files in a directory and subdirectories ever since I started using python 7
> years ago.
>
> I don't know if I'm the only one or not but here's a patch:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue13968
>
> I'd love to hear feedback on the notion and implementation,

walkdir [1] is designed to handle that use case and more.

>>> from walkdir import file_paths, filtered_walk
>>> paths = file_paths(filtered_walk('.', included_files=['*.py']))
>>> print('\n'.join(sorted(paths)))
./dist/walkdir-0.2.1/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/walkdir.py
./dist/walkdir-0.2.1/docs/conf.py
./dist/walkdir-0.2.1/setup.py
./dist/walkdir-0.2.1/test_walkdir.py
./dist/walkdir-0.2.1/walkdir.py
./docs/conf.py
./setup.py
./test_walkdir.py
./walkdir.py

It's not completely certain yet, but there's a fair chance I'll be
adding at least a subset of the walkdir API to shutil in 3.3 (the idea
actually started as just adding os.filtered_walk() to shutil, but I
moved it to PyPI to give people an opportunity to try out the API.

[1] http://walkdir.readthedocs.org