[Python-ideas] Haskell envy

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:37:18 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course, I'm arguing theoretically here. I've never even used
> itertools.combinations, so I have no real need for *any* of this. If
> people who do use this sort of thing on a regular basis have other
> opinions, then that's a much stronger argument :-)

In practice, you'll be doing prefiltering and other conditioning on
your combinations to weed out nonsensical variants cheaply, or your
combinations will be coming from a database query or map reduce
result. So I personally think it's the kind of thing that comes up in
toy programming exercises and various academic explorations rather
than something that solves a significant practical need.

Cheers,
Nick.