[Python-ideas] Haskell envy

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Apr 24 01:45:37 CEST 2012

On 4/23/2012 3:55 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> However, the discoverability of this solution is essentially zero
>
> That exact code has been in the documentation for years:
>
> def  powerset(iterable):
>      "powerset([1,2,3]) -->  () (1,) (2,) (3,) (1,2) (1,3) (2,3) (1,2,3)"
>      s  =  list(iterable)
>      return  chain.from_iterable(combinations(s,  r)  for  r  in  range(len(s)+1))
>
> The whole purpose of the itertools recipes are to teach how
> the itertools can be readily combined to build new tools.
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/itertools.html#module-itertools

Raymond's "that code has been in the docs for years," and Steven's "the
discoverability of this solution is essentially zero" are not
contradictions.  It sounds like we need a better way to find the
information in the itertools docs.  For example, there is no index entry
for "powerset", and I don't know what term Steven tried looking it up
with.  Sounds like you two could work together to make people more aware
of the tools we've already got.

--Ned.