[Python-ideas] List Revolution

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Sep 11 03:26:33 CEST 2011

Carl Matthew Johnson wrote:

> The reasoning in this letter is so terrible... "We should start lists at 0
> because when writing for-loops the <= look goofy otherwise." Why on earth
 > should Pythonistas care what the for-loops are like when we only have
 > for-each loops! It's crazy.

Um... have you actually read that article? He doesn't mention "for loops" at
all, or any other kind of loop, for that matter. Neither does he say anything
about the appearance of the comparison operators.

He does talk about the values of the range endpoints, and mentions notations
for ranges and array lower bounds in various languages. Python has equivalents
of those -- sequence indexes, range() parameters, slice indexes, etc. Most of
what he says applies perfectly well to Python.

--
Greg