[Python-ideas] Deprecating bytes.swapcase and friends [was: Maintenance burden of str.swapcase]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Sep 7 16:39:00 CEST 2011

TBH, your experience showed that trying to write "polymorphic" code
manipulating either-str-or-bytes-meaning-text is too ugly to care. I
don't know if the same is true if one were to just set out to
manipulate bytes-meaning-text. FWIW, I haven't changed my mind on
swapcase -- I regret it, but (despite acknowledging your experience)
value the consistency more than the cost of implementing it. I could
live with deprecating it across the board, if only to ease life for
PyPy and others.

--Guido

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)