[Python-ideas] Rename python.exe to python3.exe on Windows

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:46:29 CEST 2011

I think going the Arch route might be unrealistic, because there will
be no Python 2.8, and thus no chance to rename python.exe to
python2.exe. Arch can do it because they have their own distribution
of Python, Microsoft Windows does not. All I can think of is having
Python 3 installers also install symlinks or batch scripts for Python
2 installations. This could break because you might install a Python 2
installation after Python 3 (and in an unexpected place, if the
installer tries to predict things).

If 3.3 has its executable renamed, the worst situation is that python
refers to 3.1 or 3.2, and python3 to 3.3. This could be resolved by
removing 3.2 or 3.1 from the PATH (and if you still wanted to access
them, adding python31.exe and python32.exe symlinks somewhere on the
PATH). This situation is increasingly unlikely to occur as time goes
on and fewer people put 3.2 or 3.1 on the PATH at all.

Devin Jeanpierre