[Python-ideas] A user story concerning things knowing their own names

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 02:15:35 CET 2011

On 16 March 2011 19:18, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Larry Hastings wrote:
>
>     def assign(fn):
>>        return fn(fn.__name__)
>>
>>    @assign
>>    def content_size(name):
>>        return overridable_property(name, "Size of the content area.")
>> How bad do you want it?  ;-)
>>

> Not quite badly enough to replace all my existing
> overridable_property declarations with something that
> ugly. :-) But I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll
> keep it in mind next time I'm designing anything
> similar.

You should be able to replace it with something like:

   @do_something
   def content_size():
       return "Size of the content area."

Where do_something calls the function to get the string argument and takes
the name from the function.__name__ (and uses them to create and return the
overridable_property).

Michael

> --
> Greg