[Python-ideas] New imaplib implementation for Python 3.2+ standard library

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jul 27 19:29:10 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 04:48, Maxim Khitrov <max at mxcrypt.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 18:06, Maxim Khitrov <max at mxcrypt.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello python-ideas,
> >>
> >> My most recent project lead me down a path that eventually ended up at
> >> a new implementation of imaplib based on [RFC-3501]. Although I
> >> started the project by gradually adding functionality to the existing
> >> IMAP4 library, some of the features that I required simply could not
> >> be merged in (without breaking everything). As a result, I wrote my
> >> own version of the library, which incorporates all existing
> >> functionality of imaplib and includes many of my own improvements.
> >>
> >> I wrote a PEP-style readme file that describes all the details of why
> >> the library was written and how it works, which is available from my
> >> mercurial repository:
> >>
> >> http://hg.mxcrypt.com/python/imaplib2/raw-file/tip/README
> >>
> >> The same repository also contains the library code and an example
> >> script that you can run if you have access to an IMAP4 server:
> >>
> >> http://hg.mxcrypt.com/python/imaplib2/
> >>
> >> Is there any interest in adding my code to a future version of Python
> >> 3.x standard library?
> >
> > Since no one has pointed you to it, there is a doc explaining what it
> takes
> > to get a new module added to the stdlib:
> > http://docs.python.org/devguide/stdlibchanges.html#adding-a-new-module .
>
> Thanks, I actually found and read that page before making my initial
> announcement. For now, I'm making the module available under the
> simplified BSD license to anyone who wishes to use it. If it has
> gained some traction over the next year, I'll be happy to submit it to
> PSF under Apache License 2.0. Is there anything else I should do in
> the mean time? How do I go about moving the development into the
> Python's infrastructure, or does that happen later?

Later; the module has to first get traction enough for python-dev to even
consider adding it. Basically the community needs to have decided as a whole
that your module is the best solution for the job and that its API is stable
and done evolving.

Hope this doesn't sound too negative, but we just have to be very cautious
about what goes into Python's stdlib.

-Brett