[Python-ideas] Python Isn't Perfect: adding a 'gotchas' section to the tutorial

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 12 18:21:49 CET 2011

On 12/12/2011 11:49 AM, Masklinn wrote:

> Which is the point I was trying to make, a point which kind-of goes
> against the justification used for C being statically typed, as
> assemblies are also designed for driving systems with mutable
> sequential memory slots.

C was designed to remove some, but just some, of the burden of managing
blocks of memory. One of the unfortunate ironies of C is that C
programmers tend to forget that they *are* working with contiguous
mutable blocks and not with isolated Python-like objects. Hence
buffer-run exploits by malware writers who *do* remember and study the
exact order of memory blocks in particular binaries.

--
Terry Jan Reedy