[Python-ideas] Exploring the 'strview' concept further

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Dec 8 04:22:37 CET 2011

On Dec 08, 2011, at 10:22 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Indeed - it's *already* the case that ports that can drop 2.5 support
>have a much easier time of things, and those that can also drop 2.6
>have it easier still (I believe the latter is uncommon though, since
>most people want their stuff to run on platforms like the RHEL6 system
>Python installation).

I think the ability to drop anything less than 2.6 is a huge win, but the
ability to drop 2.6 itself is a smaller win.  Yes, there are things in 2.7
that help make porting to Python 3 easier still, but at least IME so far, not
so much as to be overwhelmingly compelling.  Python 2.6 as a minimum *is* very
compelling.

Cheers,
-Barry