[Python-ideas] Access to function objects

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 08:10:23 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> But rather than a prolonged discussion of the
> merits and use cases, I strongly recommend that somebody tries to come
> up with a working implementation and we'll strengthen the PEP from
> there.
>
> --
> --Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

Here's a stab at a (relatively) simple approach to the function portion:

http://bugs.python.org/issue12857

However, this does not expose __function__ in the locals.  Instead it
puts f_func in the frame object.  Thus it provides the functionality,
but doesn't invite abuse.  And whether you like it or hate it, it's
exactly what I've been looking for.

-eric

p.s. I tried doing it with a closure and, while it worked, I didn't
like it.  I will say that I came away with a _much_ better
understanding of the CPython implementation (and gdb :).  I feel much
better about the f_func solution, particularly since we're really
looking for the function associated with a frame.  Trying to
artificially force  __function__ into the frame's locals just didn't
feel right.