[Python-ideas] Create a StringBuilder class and use it everywhere

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Aug 29 14:40:01 CEST 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:27:23 +0200
"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:45, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> >> I think you should use cStringIO in your class implementation.
> >> The list + join idiom is nice, but it has the disadvantage of
> >> creating and keeping alive many small string objects (with all
> >> the memory overhead and fragmentation that goes along with it).
> >
> > AFAIK using cStringIO just for string building is much slower than
> > using list.append() + join(). IIRC we tested some micro-benchmarks on
> > this for Mercurial output (where it was a significant part of the
> > profile for some commands). That was on Python 2, of course, it may be
> > better in io.StringIO and/or Python 3.
>
> Turns our you're right (list.append must have gotten a lot faster
> since I last tested this years ago, or I simply misremembered
> the results).

The join() idiom only does one big copy at the end, while the
StringIO/BytesIO idiom copies at every resize (unless the memory
allocator is very smart). Both are O(N) but the join() version
does less copies and (re)allocations.

(there are also the list resizings but that object is much smaller)

Regards

Antoine.