[Python-ideas] Cross-platform lockfile

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Aug 14 11:30:02 CEST 2011

David Townshend <aquavitae69 at gmail.com>
writes:

> As far as I can make out, this package [PyPI's ‘lockfile’] is designed
> to lock files from access by different threads within a program by
> using a ".lock" file. I can't see how this could lock a file from
> external modification.

You're right, ‘lockfile’ is for the cooperative locking conventions
common on most operating systems. It doesn't implement mandatory
exclusive locking of resources.

--
 \     “When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. |
  `\    Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole |