[Python-ideas] New 3.x restriction on number of keyword arguments

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Oct 24 01:26:25 CEST 2010

Cesare Di Mauro wrote:
> I think that having max 255 args and 255 kwargs is a good and reasonable
> limit which we can live on, and helps the virtual machine implementation

Is there any corresponding limit to the number of arguments to
tuple and dict constructor? If not, the limit could perhaps be
circumvented without changing the VM by having the compiler
convert calls with large numbers of args into code that builds
an appropriate tuple and dict and makes a *args/**kwds call.

--
Greg