[Python-ideas] Add a site.cfg to keep a persistent list of paths

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Oct 20 00:03:14 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> There's one feature I want to add in distutils2: the develop command
> setuptools provides. Basically it adds a "link" file into
> site-packages, and does some magic at startup to load the path that is
> contained in the link file. The use case is to be able to have a
> project added in the python path without installing it.

The link file is a red herring -- setuptools adds an entry to
easy-install.pth that points to the directory.  It would work equally as
well to add a .pth file for the specific package (though .pth files append
to the path, so if you already have a package installed and then a .pth file
pointing to a development version, then it won't work as expected, hence the
magic in easy-install.pth).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org