[Python-ideas] time.wallclock() or other similar stuff

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 2 14:43:04 CET 2010

On 02/11/2010 13:21, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> On 2 November 2010 11:35, Antoine Pitrou<solipsis at pitrou.net>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:50:57 +1100
>> Steven D'Aprano<steve at pearwood.info>  wrote:
>>> +1 on a platform-dependent alias to time() or clock()
>>> +1 on calling it "timer"
>> "time.timer()" is much too close to "time.time()".
> I'd agree with this.  I'm actually +1 on the original
> time.wallclock(), wall time is a common concept, so having the word
> "wall" in it's api seems very natural to me.  .walltime() would
> probably work as well.
>
> Regards
> Floris

I beg to differ.
Seeing "wall clock" just confused me - my reaction was what the ..... is
he talking about?  Even when I understood it, it didn't seem a very
appropriate name - I would have found something like "system clock" or
"system time" more intelligible.
Whereas "timer" is a very familiar concept (in computing, and in life in
general).
And I think most people are familiar with time.time(), so will recognize
that time.timer() is something different.  Though I agree it would be
better if the names were more different.
Best wishes
Rob Cliffe