[Python-ideas] Issue9004 Was:Rename time module to "posixtime"

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:38:02 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Bruce Leban <bruce at leapyear.org> wrote:
..
> When you say "And where in the docs would you explain the following: :-)"
> that sounds like you're saying "this is too confusing we shouldn't document
> it." To which I can only say :-(

I presented what I consider to be a bug.  I opened an issue 9004, [1]
"datetime.utctimetuple() should not set tm_isdst flag to 0" for that.

There is no point in documenting the following as expected behavior:

>>> time.strftime('%c %z %Z', datetime.utcnow().utctimetuple())
'Wed Jun 16 03:26:26 2010 -0500 EST'

I believe it is better to fix it so that it produces

>>> time.strftime('%c %z %Z', datetime.utcnow().utctimetuple())
'Wed Jun 16 03:26:26 2010  '

instead.

This, however shows limitation of datetime to timetuple conversion:
there is currently no mechanism to store daylight saving time info in
datetime object.  See issue 9013. [2]  Rather than fixing that, it
would be much better to eliminate need for datetime to timetuple
conversion in the first place.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue9004
[2] http://bugs.python.org/issue9013