[Python-ideas] Cofunctions - an enhancement to yield-from

ghazel at gmail.com ghazel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 13:52:25 CEST 2010

It does seem like there are two different use cases for generators
which the return value semantics of "yield from" starts to make very
clear. The original use is building an iterator which produces results
in sequence, and the other is the "cofunction" style of executing a
sequence of code blocks which might be interleaved with code from the
caller and which returns a value like a regular function. I find
cofunctions to be a very useful concept.

I like the idea of "codef" defining these cofunctions in a way which
makes them behave like generators even if they do not contain a yield
call. Certainly having to revisit call sites when you shuffle or
comment out code is troublesome.

What I am suspicious of is automatically making calls to cofunctions
from within a cofunction imply 'yield from'. Knowing whether the
function call you are making can suspend your code and return to your
parent or not is important, since your state might change between when
you call some function and when it returns. Instead, I would like to
see a different calling mechanism when calling a cofunction, which
makes it clear that you know you're calling a cofunction and that this
could have implications for your own code. "yield" (and "yield from")
serve this purpose somewhat. It seems like calling a normal function
using this special calling mechanism could treat them like a
cofunction which produced zero iterations and a single return value.

Obviously this topic is very close to the monocle framework (
http://github.com/saucelabs/monocle ), where we implement something
very much like this as best we can using existing Python
functionality. Other projects have tried to use C module
stack-swapping coroutines, and I have seen programmers (including the
developers of these projects) struggle with the unexpected,
thread-like preemption. I believe a word like "yield" makes these
cooperation points more obvious.

-Greg