[Python-ideas] [Wild Idea] Static Ducks

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 22 22:17:04 CEST 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 02:35:49 am Masklinn wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2009, at 17:46 , Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> >> And it's a pretty bad one to boot: both Java and C# allow adding
> >> strings and ints (whether it's `3 + "5"` or `"5" + 3`) (in fact
> >> they allow adding *anything* to a string), but the operation is
> >> well defined: convert any non-string involved to a string (via
> >> #toString ()/.ToString()) and concatenate.
> >
> > I don't see why you say it's a bad test. To me, it's a good test,
> > and Java and C# pass it.
>
> Uh no, by your criterion they fail it: both java and C# do add
> strings and integers without peeping.

What are you talking about? Using Python syntax, we might write:

assert "2"+2 == 4

This test will FAIL for Python, Pascal and other strongly typed
languages, and PASS for weakly typed languages. (For some languages,
like Pascal, you can't even compile the test!)

> > If you're only criterion is that an operation is well-defined,
> > then "weak typing" becomes meaningless...
>
> I don't think I defined any criterion of strong/weak typing.

You conceded that C# adds strings and ints, but disputed that this fact
makes C# weakly typed on the basis that (I quote) "the operation is
well defined". There's nothing about the definition of weakly typed
languages that requires the implicit conversions to be random,
arbitrary or badly defined, ONLY that they are implicit, and by that
definition, C# is weakly typed with regard to strings+ints.

> As far
> as I'm concerned, and as I've already mentioned in this thread, the
> whole weak/strong axis is meaningless and laughable.

I agree that treating weak/strong as a binary state is an
over-simplification, but a weak/strong axis is perfectly reasonable.
Count the number of possible mixed-type operations permitted by the
language (for simplicity, limit it to built-in or fundamental types).
What percentage of them succeed without explicit casts or conversions?
If that percentage is 0%, then the language is entirely strong. If it is
100%, then the language is entirely weak. In practice, languages will
likely fall somewhere in the middle rather at the ends. This is an
objective test for degree of type strength.

> > This heuristic is not arbitrary.
>
> Of course it is.

Now you're just being irrational.

> > Automatically converting ints to floats
> > is mathematically reasonable, because we consider e.g. 3 and 3.0 to
> > be the same number.
>
> Do we? Given 3/2 and 3.0/2 don't necessarily give the same answer
> (some languages don't even consider the first operation valid), I'm
> not sure we do.

Ask a mathematician, and he'll say that they are the same. The
underlying concept of number treats 3 and 3.0 as the same thing (until
you get to some extremely hairy mathematics, by which time the
mathematician you ask will say that the question doesn't even make
sense). In mathematics, the difference between 3 and 3+0/10 is, not
surprisingly, 0.

--
Steven D'Aprano