[Python-ideas] IDEA: do not alter default SIGINT handling

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 22:51:32 CEST 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Discussion of how to spell SIGKILL looks like bikeshed painting to me,
> but the question of how to extend graceful interrupt behavior to C
> modules looks worthy of an idea to me.
>
> Is that too hard or too rare a need?

If someone can come up with an adequate C API spelling of the change
(e.g. a PYTHON_BEGIN_ALLOW_SIGINT_ABORT/PYTHON_END_ALLOW_SIGINT_ABORT)
and define it in such a way that the burden for cleaning up before
resumption of execution of Python code is placed on the developer using
the new API then I'd be +1.

For a C API spelling with the semantics of a genuine C abort for the
duration, I'd probably be -0 at best. I like Ctrl-C hitting exception
handlers and finally clauses.

Cheers,
Nick.