[Python-ideas] 80 character line width vs. something wider

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat May 23 00:43:04 CEST 2009

Jan Kanis <jan.kanis at phil.uu.nl> writes:

> There is, of course, a correct solution to this line length problem.
> The ideal maximum line length is dependent on how much horizontal
> space you've got

It's also dependent on how different line lengths affect ease of rapid
comprehension. As mentioned many times in this thread.

> so the code should be automatically wrapped to your window size.

No, since that fails to account for the dependency I mention above.

--
 \         “Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first |
  `\     principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the |