[Python-ideas] Default arguments in Python - the return - running out of ideas but...

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri May 15 10:57:03 CEST 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009 06:45:16 pm CTO wrote:
> On May 15, 4:14 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Without an implementation, how can you possibly predict the cost of
> > it?
>
> [snip]
>
> You're right. Please provide code.

I think that should be up to some person who actually wants delayed
evaluation of default arguments. As I've said repeatedly in the past,
I'm a very strong -1 on removing the current behaviour, and +0 on
allowing delayed evaluation of defaults as an optional feature. But
since so many people want it, if the Python-Dev team decide to add it
to the language I will need to live with whatever syntax is chosen.

--
Steven D'Aprano