[Python-ideas] keywording prohibited

John Graham john.a.graham at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:47:25 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> spir writes:
>
>  > Depends on your pov. I consider the _possibility_ of using 'list',
>  > 'range' or 'type' as a name for totally custom thing, without even
>  > a warning, an issue, not a wishable feature. It _invents_ very hard
>  > to diagnose bugs.
>
> If you want warnings, use pylint.  It catches all of those.

Has anyone ever suggested a standard pylint, something that might be
distributed with the interpreter/libraries?  As important as the
'look-and-feel' is to Python, it seems like an automated style-checker
/ 'you probably didn't meant to do that' engine would be a good idea
to introduce even newbies to the language instead of them having to
search it out.

-jg