[Python-ideas] keywording prohibited

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun May 3 00:57:35 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 02, 2009, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op donderdag 23-04-2009 om 05:53 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Aahz:
>>
>> How do non-keyword builtins bite?
>
> You can accidentally "re-define" or mask them (if you don't use a tool
> that warns for that).

Given how long it has been since the original post, I think it's unfair
of you to cut this much context.  What Denis Spir originally wrote was,
"On the contrary: non-keyword builtins bite painfully!" and my rejoinder
was written because of the extreme language.

Your issue is a valid one, but I have seen no cases where I would call
it "painful" contrasted with the pain of being unable to use a keyword
anywhere as a name or attribute.

"Typing is cheap.  Thinking is expensive."  --Roy Smith