[Python-ideas] Inline assignment expression

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Mar 15 04:33:54 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Jervis Whitley <jervisau at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read your answer as a -0.5, if it is dead in the water, let me know
> we can close the Issue as a 'Wont Fix'.

You're asking the wrong guy. :-) If it were up to me this would never
go through. So, yes, a solid -1 from me. If anything, I'm stronger
against your "as" version than against C-style "=", (a) because the
latter draws more attention to the assignment (I hate side effects
buried deeply) and (b) because it's more familiar. The existing "as"
syntaxes have a different purpose, they are top-level only so they
cannot be deeply buried. But numerically I'd still be -1 on the "="
syntax too. I'm just throwing that preference for "=" out in case a
future BDFL or someone forking the language wants to do it
differently.