[Python-ideas] Proposed convenience functions for re module

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:50:11 CEST 2009

2009/7/23 Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>:
> On 2009-07-22 19:49, Greg Ewing wrote:
>>
>> Georg Brandl wrote:
>>
>>> You might be interested in the undocumented re.Scanner class :)
>>
>> It looks like it could be interesting, but with no
>> documentation, how are we supposed to tell?
>>
>> Is there *any* information about it available
>> anywhere?
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-April/035075.html

Question: Is there any reason (other than lack of time) why it's undocumented?

I'd be willing to write some documentation, but only if it would stand
a chance of being accepted - this isn't an itch of mine, so I don't
want to spend ages arguing over whether the class should be
documented.

The source code says "experimental stuff (see python-dev discussions
for details)". I've not searched the python-dev archives yet, but it
seems to me that it'll never be anything other than experimental if
people don't know it's there and try it out...

Paul.