[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Jan 29 06:14:09 CET 2009

Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> ‘import daemon’ gets a totally different API for a different purpose,
> that of turning the current running program into a daemon, which
> AFAICT only makes a whole lot of sense on Unix and is what I'm
> proposing in this PEP.

I think that's an implementation detail.  Unix daemons and Windows
services seem more similar than different.  The details about how they
are established/started are different, but that's what a good API covers
over.  That would be worth designing.

There are a number of Unix-only modules for this purpose already, aren't
there?  I see at least three of them on PyPI, including yours, Ben.
What's the point of a new one?  And what's the point of adding a new
Unix-only module to the stdlib?  Aren't we trying to remove
platform-only modules?  Didn't we remove the Mac modules in 3.x?  And
isn't win32all a separate distribution?

Bill