[Python-ideas] String formatting and namedtuple

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Mon Feb 16 21:50:12 CET 2009

Terry Reedy wrote:
> The purpose of my proposal is to make the simple case simple.
> In terms of keystrokes, unshift - . - shift is as bad as unshift - 0 -
> shift.

I have this mostly implemented in ''.format(), despite my earlier
statement that I was done playing with it after the sample that's
attached to http://bugs.python.org/issue5237. Now that I have this
working in the core, I find Terry's argument above quite convincing. Not
having to do the shift-unshift-shift dance to type in the format
placeholder really does make it easier to use for the simple cases. I'm
seeing this as a definite improvement.