[Python-ideas] String formatting and namedtuple

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:18:19 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Lie Ryan <lie.1296 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Adam Olsen <rhamph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Exposing a dict API would pollute namedtuple.
>
> What do you mean by "pollute namedtuple"?

I just mean that we don't want to add a bunch of extra options and
features that'll only be appropriate for rare special cases.

>> What's more, it's
>> unnecessary in python 2.6/3.0:

>> one = 12, two = 32
>>
>> (And before you ask, no, I don't think it's worth adding the dict API
>> just to make old-style formatting a tiny bit easier.)
>
> Is % interpolation deprecated? I've never heard of that...

There's no plans to remove it in the near future, so it's not
deprecated, and there's no problem using it when it's convenient.

However, .format() obsoletes it.  .format() is significantly more
powerful for reasons just like this.  There's no reason to add new
features to % interpolation with .format() around.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus