[Python-ideas] Making colons optional?

Riobard Zhan yaogzhan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:25:12 CET 2009

On 6-Feb-09, at 11:39 AM, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:23:32AM -0330, Riobard Zhan wrote:
>> What do you think the idea of making semicolons optional?
>
>   You are trying to change the language - and changing the language is
> a major, big scale change - but you are trying to change the
> language for
> nothing. Small inconsistency (even if I'd agree there is an
> inconsistency
> there) doesn't by itself warrant such a major change. -1000 for the
> change.

Making colons is not a major, big scale change. You can use them if
you want. There is even no backward compatibility issues. I guess
hardly anybody would notice if we do make the change.

By comparison, what do we get by making "print" a function? Why not
create a "put" or "echo" built-in function if we really want the
flexibility? Isn't that a major, big scale change?