[Python-ideas] string.swap()

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Apr 6 15:09:24 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009, spir wrote:

> Some time ago on this list was mentionned swapping sub-strings inside
> a string. A short while later I had a use case case for that feature;
> this led me to explore this topic in a general case defined as:
>
> * Sub-strings to be swapped must not be single characters.

This seems like an odd requirement.  In any case, posting as a recipe
seems the way to go.

"...string iteration isn't about treating strings as sequences of strings,
it's about treating strings as sequences of characters.  The fact that
characters are also strings is the reason we have problems, but characters
are strings for other good reasons."  --Aahz