[Python-ideas] And now for something completely different

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Sep 21 08:57:19 CEST 2008

Cliff Wells wrote:

> You should be able to tell at compile-time which functions are affected
> (assuming we used a signature indicator.

I'm talking about telling at the calling site whether an
argument needs to be passed evaluated or unevaluated. You
can' tell that at compile time without a marker at the
calling site as well.

> Actually, that might just be acceptable (if not my preferred form).  It
> meets my desire to enforce lazy evaluation although it retains the ugly
> lambda in the caller.

It would really be better to have a new syntax for the
calling-site marker, and some kind of flag passed along with
the argument behind the scenes. If you just rely on looking at
whether the passed argument is a function, you can't tell the
difference between a function representing an unevaluated
argument and an evaluated argument whose value just happens to
be a function.

--
Greg